Monday 19 August 2013

Mollys Mini Manx

The kids have decided that my next project (More Dalek later) must be finishing the 1/2 scale buggy I have been building for the past 6 years (well not really  building, more contemplating.) So here is the first post on this project!

We got the body from East Coast Manx, and if they are still in business (they are, just checked, http://www.eastcoastbuggies.co.uk/) then they do a lovely half sized buggy!

The idea was to make it ready for Molly once she was old enough. Unfortunately I had also intended to finish my Trekker (More later) and do an MA. Kids do tend to mess up timescales. :-) 

So I managed to get a motorised golf bag which I thought would be perfect as the power source, however the more i thought about the more I doubted its ability to move our increasingly large offspring! 
I built a chassis for the buggy and got a set of wheels and tyres and everything was going slowly but well.

 The chassis is made from the square section steel legs of some old furniture we were throwing away at work (The Metal skip is a favourite dinnertime destination :-) ) Its a simple perimeter frame with points to attache the front and rear assemblies.


This is the lawn tractor front axle, its a monster!




Here is the modified version. Not sure yet if this is staying...  

This is the back end I put together using the golf caddy, this is definitely not staying I have now got a much more capable drive pack from an electric wheelchair. Ill be having a look tonight to see if its going to be feasible to keep the suspension but if not ill solid mount everything.

Back tyres/wheels are brand new and came from ebay, fronts are very second hand from a lawn tractor, they will be fine for now but I will probably need to sort out some more tyres eventually. 










No comments:

Post a Comment