Friday 2 October 2015


Lunt Fort and Roman Armour

My roman armour had an outing recently with a trip to Lunt Fort. Just outside Coventry in the UK. Its the only recreation of a wooden roman fort in the UK. To be honest its seen better days, original built in the 60's (Well originally built by the Romans, but you know what I mean!) the fort has not had a lot spent on it since. Until recently, when with some grant money, the central museum building has had a makeover.



Its still an impressive place the image above is the Gatehouse that is first thing you see. 


This is the museum building itself, they have made a lot of effort to make the content appealing to kids and the two guys that were manning the museum on the day we went were fantastic, really enthusiastic and keen to get the kid trying on clothes and armour and really engaging with the to bring it alive. 

Seth wore some of his armour I had made last year, which fortunately still fitted him, but when I pinched his Hat I found it a little tight!



The "real" armour was pretty impressive, as they were dressed the guide explained what each part did and was called before trying to stab them with a short sword to show the strength of the steel.




























 Molly initially tried on mail armour, but then tried the plate on too. 

I took lots of reference shots for the next time I need to make some! (I still want a set for myself)

Overall it was an excellent morning out and I'd recommend it to any one with kids with an interest in Romans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment